If you are redoing your bathroom, kitchen, or remodeling your home, the choice of ceramic tile materials will be critical to the success of your project and the attractiveness of your space. Choosing the right ceramic tile materials can be a big balancing act, one that requires you to weigh the relative pros and cons of each, all while you are maintaining a strict budget and keeping your costs under control.
Ceramic tile has long been one of the most popular materials for bathroom and kitchen remodels and other home improvement projects, and there are plenty of benefits to using it in your own space. At the same time there are some potential downsides to the use of ceramic tile as well, and it is important to take all these issues into account. With that in mind here are some of the pros and cons of installing ceramic tile in your home.
The Good Side of Ceramic Tile
There is a lot to love about ceramic tile, and plenty of reasons to put it at the top of your bathroom remodel shopping list. Here are some of the advantages of adding ceramic tile to your living space.
- Beautiful appearance – There is no denying that ceramic tile is beautiful, and its classic good looks is hard to argue with. If you are looking for a stylish addition to your space, you cannot go wrong with ceramic tile.
- A wide variety of colors, styles, and finishes – Ceramic tile is one of the most versatile of materials, with dozens of colors, styles and finishes to choose from. No matter what your decorating theme or home décor pattern, you can find ceramic tile to match.
- Stands up to temperature extremes – Bathrooms are hot and humid places, and ceramic tile is able to withstand those high temperatures and high levels of humidity. This resilience is one of the biggest selling points of ceramic tile.
- Durability – Remodeling the bathroom is not a fun thing to do, and few homeowners are anxious to do it more than once. If you want a once and done solution, ceramic tile should be your material of choice.
The Potential Pitfalls of Ceramic Tile
There are plenty of things to like about ceramic tile, but this popular remodeling material is far from perfect. Before you rush out and fill your cart with tiles, you need to consider these potential downsides.
- Specialized cleaning requirements – Keeping ceramic tile clean is not a simple process, and it is easy to scratch these beautiful surfaces. If you want to keep your ceramic tile looking its best, you will need to avoid harsh cleansers that could leave telltale scratches behind.
- Difficult installation – While installing ceramic tile can be a DIY project, it is more difficult to work with than many other types of materials. If you do not have extensive experience with ceramic tile, you may need to hire a contractor to do the work.
- High cost – Ceramic tile can be expensive compared to some alternatives, so you will need to check your budget carefully. You can save money by shopping around and looking for closeout materials, but you may still find the cost is on the high end of what you originally envisioned.
- Color variations – Even if you buy your boxes of ceramic tile at the same home improvement store, you may see some color and pattern variations from box to box. Some homeowners love the look, but others may be bothered by the non-uniform finish.
As you can see, there are plenty of things to think about when considering ceramic tile for your bathroom remodel, kitchen remodel or other home improvement project. If you want your space to look its best, you need to take all of these factors into account, so you make a beautiful decision.
Contact Valor Construction and we can discuss your project and offer you a free estimate.